A ‘Defensive Driving’ option for cyclists
Did you receive a traffic ticket while riding your bike in Manvel, Texas?
With this course, you will meet the requirements to have your fine waived (but not the court fee), and have your traffic citation dismissed.
Cost: $34.95 / Time: Approximately 4 hours
Here’s how you can take part in this ‘ticket dismissal’ option:
- Complete and submit a Deferred Disposition form through the Manvel Municipal Court, along with the payment of the court fee and any other associated charges.
- Sign up here for the online course, choosing the Defensive Cycling option. [Please note: this link currently points to the Austin Defensive Cycling course. By end of March 2020, it will point to a country-wide course with Texas as a course pathway option.]
- Complete the course with a passing grade of 80% or more.*
- A Certificate of Completion will be prepared and emailed directly to the Court.
- Once the certificate is processed, the fine will be waived and the ticket dismissed.
* Important: Be sure to read the Terms and Conditions regarding your participation in the course.
Why take the Defensive Cycling course?
- Meet the requirements to have your fine waived by the court and your traffic ticket dismissed. (Note: you still need to pay your court fee and associated costs.)
- Learn the rights you have as a cyclist, along with your duties.
- Explore proven ways to get more drivers to give you space, and to avoid the errors they make.
- Gain significant skills to help you be more competent & comfortable riding in traffic.
- Reduce your chances of having a crash or collision, or receiving another traffic ticket.
From the Texas Transportation Code:
Sec. 551.101. RIGHTS AND DUTIES.
(a) A person operating a bicycle has the rights and duties applicable to a driver operating a vehicle under this subtitle, unless:
(1) a provision of this chapter alters a right or duty; or
(2) a right or duty applicable to a driver operating a vehicle cannot by its nature apply to a person operating a bicycle.
(b) A parent of a child or a guardian of a ward may not knowingly permit the child or ward to violate this subtitle.
Visit the website of the Center for Cycling Education for details on:
Information from the Manvel Municipal Court:[Add City/Court-specific information here and below as desired.]
Finding out the status of your case
Once you have successfully completed the course, an electronic copy of your certificate will be emailed to the court. You can then check your status by contacting the court.
You will need one of the following combinations of identification:
- Your name and date of birth.
- Your driver’s license and state.
- Your Municipal Court case number.
- Please note that the date your certificate is received is recorded, but the system can take up to a week to update.
- For questions about registering, taking the course, or delivery of your Certificate of Completion, please contact The Center for Cycling Education.
- For questions about your case, please contact us here at the court.