A ‘Defensive Driving’ option for cyclists
Did you receive a traffic citation while riding your bike in Houston? With this Defensive Cycling ticket dismissal course, you will meet the requirements to have your fine waived, and have your traffic citation dismissed.
Cost: $34.95 / Time: Approximately 2 hours
‘Defensive Cycling’ ticket dismissal course for Houston, TX
Here’s how you can take part in this ‘citation dismissal’ option
- Request the Defensive Cycling option through the Houston Municipal Courts, and submit payment of the Court fee and any other associated charges.
- Court cost = $71 or $104 depending on the violation code
- $10 fee to the City of Houston to take the ticket dismissal option
- Sign up here for the online course. (Please note: this course is not configured for use on tablet devices or smartphones.)
- Complete the course with a passing grade. Your notice of course completion will be prepared and emailed directly to the Houston Municipal Courts. You will be copied on this message.
Why take the Defensive Cycling course?
- Qualify to have your fine waived by the Court.
- Gain valuable techniques that will help you increase your safety and comfort in traffic, even if you are an experienced cyclist.
- Learn what your rights are, and how you can gain more accommodation from drivers.
- Learn the laws that apply to you as a cyclist, reducing the likelihood of getting another ticket in the future.
Would you like to learn about the laws that apply to you as a cyclist,
including your rights?
From the Texas Transportation Code:
Sec. 551.101. RIGHTS AND DUTIES.
(a) A person operating a bicycle has the rights and duties applicable to a driver operating a vehicle under this subtitle, unless:
(1) a provision of this chapter alters a right or duty; or
(2) a right or duty applicable to a driver operating a vehicle cannot by its nature apply to a person operating a bicycle.
(b) A parent of a child or a guardian of a ward may not knowingly permit the child or ward to violate this subtitle.
- Texas Transportation Code, Chapter 551:
Operation of Bicycles, Mopeds and Play Vehicles
- Texas Transportation Code, All sections
(Look for Title 7 – Vehicles and Traffic, Subtitle C: Rules of the Road)
- Laws regarding cycling in Houston, TX (courtesy of BikeHouston)
Information from the Houston Municipal Courts:
- Municipal Courts: Bike Safety Course info
- City of Houston Ticket Payment System
- General Ticket and Court Information: Call the Municipal Court One Call Solution Center at (713) 837-0311 (Mon-Fri, 6am-8pm)
Municipal Courts Department
1400 Lubbock Street
Houston, TX 77002
The CCE developed all applicable training materials and administers the course training. This course is also available within Texas in Austin, San Marcos, and Travis County, and is being expanded throughout North America. If you would like to see this option available in your city, please contact us. We have a turn-key package to put it in place.