Cycling Laws » USA » CA – California » Santa Monica
In addition to state law, counties, cities, and towns may have their own traffic regulations. These are usually known as ordinances or codes.
These local regulations may not take away any rights listed in the state traffic laws, unless this option is expressly permitted by the state. They also may not permit a person riding a bike to do anything prohibited by state law.
See below for the municipal regulations that influence your ride in Santa Monica.
Links to Municipal Ordinances:
From the City of Santa Monica Planning & Community Development website:
- City of Santa Monica Planning & Community Development website
- Biking in Santa Monica
- Bike Lanes, Facilities, & Parking
- Bike Education and Awareness
- Bike Maps and Organizations
- Breeze Bike Share Program
Would you like to see your California municipality’s traffic ordinances listed here?
Simply complete the form below,* and we will add that to our work plan. Providing us with a link to the local ordinances can greatly speed up the process.
* If you are considering purchasing access to the ‘Traffic Smarts for Cyclists’ course for your organization, we will add these here and in the course at no cost (minimum purchase required). To request complimentary access to review the course, and addition of the laws and regulations applicable to your location, please use this form.