Online traffic skills courses
Are you fully comfortable riding your bike in traffic?
Explore proven ways to be noticed and respected on the road.
No matter what type of riding you do, or want to do
• commuting • recreational • touring • road • triathlon
our courses will help increase your competence & ease out on the street.
Separate courses for the United States & Canada
Whether you're a skilled rider or a newcomer:
- Gain significant skills to be more competent & comfortable riding in traffic.
- Discover the rights & duties you have when riding your bike.
- Explore proven ways to encourage drivers to respect these rights.
- Understand the impact of what you do (or don't do) in traffic, and how you can bring about positive interactions.
- Reduce your likelihood of crashes or collisions, or receiving traffic tickets.
- Increase your chances of gaining work involving cycling or transportation demand management.
Explore ways to:
• Choose your lane & lane position • Navigate intersections with skill & confidence • Discourage common driver errors • Trigger a traffic light that normally doesn't detect you • Judge the timing of traffic lights
What do you get?
5 hours of interactive content:
video • descriptive text • photos • graphics • animations • quizzes
- Learn from wherever you are, at your own pace.
- View it a bit at a time, or all at once.
- Return as often as you like to review & improve.
It’s worth it
"This is such an excellent resource. I’ve been commuting to school/work for 12 years and consider myself to be a pretty good rider, but I learned so much here. I’ve read plenty of things online and even a few books, but this addressed a lot of concerns I had and presented new info in a way that’s easy to comprehend (the graphics and videos helped a lot).
"I liked that I could go back in when I wanted and it kept my place.
"I’ve been trying out what I learned on my rides this week, and it’s already making a big difference. Thanks!"
— Stephen R.
30-day money back guarantee.
Only $35 for 6 months of access.
If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, your money will be fully refunded.
No-cost cycling skills resources
Improve your game with valuable content from our popular online traffic skills courses.
More content is being added all the time.
Bike handling skills
- Shifting gears
- Changing lanes in traffic
- Triggering a traffic light on your bike
Equipment & accessories
- Parts of the bike
- Checking your bike for safety
- Choosing & fitting your bike helmet
Discover what rights & duties you have while you're out on the road.
A framework for coöperating
Traffic laws provide us with guidelines for interacting on the road.
They help us predict what others will likely do, and let others know what to expect from us.
Knowing the law and riding within it also reduces the number of decisions we need to make.
The same rights & duties
The only exceptions are:
- where the law specifies otherwise, or
- where a right or duty cannot apply to someone operating a bike.
Making sense of the legalese
The rules of the road are often written without properly taking cyclists into account.
The laws can vary widely from one province or state to another, and from one city to another.
We'll help you interpret these often complex requirements, and understand how they apply to you.
Here you'll find the laws for many provinces & states, with links to municipal regulations for select locations.
‘Defensive Cycling’ ticket dismissal course
As featured in Bicycling magazine
Our innovative ‘Defensive Cycling’ traffic ticket dismissal course was profiled in one of North America's major cycling magazines.
Created by cyclists for cyclists.
Have you been given a traffic ticket while riding your bike?
A ‘Defensive Driving’ course for cyclists
Since July 2010, we've been providing an option to cyclists that has been available to drivers for years — having a traffic ticket and fine waived in exchange for taking part in valuable, effective training.
Thank you for the heads-up [Defensive Cycling procedures for dismissing a ticket], the great service and course. I am glad I learned about it from a friend. I have to say that I learned a lot from the course and I now feel I am a safer rider.
— Nikos B.
The course pays for itself
With this course you'll
- find ways to avoid getting another citation,
- become more skilled at riding in traffic, and
- gain more comfort on the road.
Valuable for cyclists of all experience levels.
Learn how to claim your proper place on the road.
Bike handling skills
Standing starts • Controlled turns • Braking • Shifting gears • Scanning behind • Signalling • Low-speed balance
Learn to ride a bike
In only 3 hours, go from
never having swung a leg over a bike
to being in full control.